I know it’s still blazing hot outside…. but it is September and I am craving chili and I didn’t want to wait for cooler weather. I thought I would share with you the new chili recipe I tried out. It is from the book Entertaining With Friends that my sweet friend Samantha’s Mom gave me before I moved to Jackson. I finally got to try a recipe from this gorgeous cookbook.
Game Day Chili
2 lbs ground beef (I used ground turkey to make it healthier) Next time I think I will cut back to 1 lb of meat; it was a little much for me.
1 onion, chopped ( I buy frozen onion that is already chopped and it is a huge time saver)
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 (15 oz) can chili beans
1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans
1 (15 oz) can whole tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
3/4 cup water
1 small jalapeño seeded and chopped (I used 2 because I like it HOT)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon each cumin and paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional) it was not spicy enough for my taste so I had to kick it up a bit.
1. Brown the ground beef in a skillet, stirring until crumbly; drain.
2. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic. Saute until tender.
3. Add the undrained chili beans, undrained kidney beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, jalapeño chile, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and mix well.
4. Simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
5. Ladle into soup bowls and top with a small amount of shredded cheese and green onions. Serve with crackers and enjoy!
This recipe was very easy and made a ton of food. You will have plenty for leftovers or to freeze for an easy meal down the road. Hope everyone has a great week! XOXO -B