Last week I shared with you my lunch plan for the week so this week I thought I would share with you my dinner recipe for the week. This is another recipe I got from pinterest. These burrito bowls remind me of the ones that I love so much at Chipotle. I don’t have a Chipotle in Jackson so I was super excited to create my own. I made it Saturday night and it was super easy and delicious and now I have tons of leftovers for the rest of the week.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite sized pieces (You can substitute ground beef or ground turkey for the chicken if you prefer)
- 3 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of diced yellow onion (I use frozen onion that is already diced. This is a huge time saver!)
- 1 cup of uncooked extra-long grain rice
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 1/2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups of colby jack, monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- kosher salt and pepper
- freshly diced tomatoes (optional topping)
- diced green onions (optional topping)
- sour cream (optional topping)
- guacamole (optional topping)
- diced jalapeno’s (optional topping)
- 1/2 bag frozen corn
- Start by sautéing onions in 2 tablespoon of olive oil until they start to soften.
- Season diced chicken with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Add chicken to pan and cook over medium high heat until chicken has started to brown.
- In a separate pan add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté uncooked rice for about 2 minutes or just until some grains start to turn golden brown.
- In a large pot put the cooked chicken and browned rice and then you will add the rest of the ingredients
- Stir in black beans, canned tomatoes, chicken broth, garlic powder, chili powder and cumin and frozen corn.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook about 20 minutes or until rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Sprinkle with cheese, recover and let set for 2-3 off heat to melt cheese.
- Garnish with any (or all) of the following: fresh tomatoes, green onions, sour cream, guacamole and diced jalapeno’s and enjoy.
If you plan to eat this several nights (like I do) a nice way to chage it is by adding different toppings each night. This will make it seem like you aren’t eating the exact same thing night after night.
My hubby and I both really enjoyed this recipe. It was also easy to make and has lots of fresh and healthy ingredients. I hope everyone has a great week and let me know if you give this recipe a try.